Thursday, November 26, 2009

Window Shopping on Bloor St. and Yorkville

One of my favorite Holiday pass times is checking out the window displays put out by retailers. Historically, The Bay used to be my favorite, but I was disappointed to see that they didn't change their Queen St. windows this year. That would make 3 years with the same windows, and for a local, it doesn't give me a reason to check them out. However, Holt Renfrew on Bloor W. has raised the barre with the most creative and whimsical Holiday windows. I can vividly picture their windows from the past 4 years in my mind, that is how amazing they are. And this year they don't disappoint. If you visit Toronto during the Holiday season, be sure to take a stroll to Bloor and Bay to visit Holt Renfrew.

Holt Renfrew

Holt Renfrew

Their windows, plus the Holiday music playing outside the store, make you want to go in and investigate more. Even if you can't afford the price tag on many of the items, you can always afford a $3.50 vintage style lollipop!! And you will buy one just so you can take a piece of the Holiday Magic home that Holt Renfrew has created.

Harry Rosen

Harry Rosen also has a corner of festive windows. I especially loved this wallet by Prada. I have no one on my shopping list that made me go into Harry Rosen, but they do put out a full effort with their windows.

Red Letter

This window from Red Letter in Yorkville caught my eye. The store was closed when I was there or else I would have been in trouble. This is my type of store with a lot of cute stationary and gifts. The pinks, sparkle and cupcakes made me want to enter the store.

Old York Lane

With the fact we have yet to have a snowfall, stores, malls and shopping areas need to make the extra effort to make things festive, to get us in the shopping mood. I loved the decorations in Old York lane in Yorkville. I wish the city was decorated like this.

Auggie

Cute products also get me into a store. This is Auggie in Yorkville, the new store part of Augustina Boutique. It was closed as well (I was wandering waiting for stores to open) but I bet that those dolls don't come cheap.

Teatre Verde

With Teatre Verde's new building, they don't have many windows to do a big display, but as soon as you walk in you are greeted with a Christmas Wonderland! Colourful trees and traditional trees every where you look. I love this store (which was now open) and I could have bought so much!! I reigned myself in and only spent $10. But with stores now open, I was ready to shop!!

Anthropologie

I was a little disappointed in Anthropologie's windows. This window display could be for any time of year. I thought a store like Anthropologie, display marketing wizards, would have better windows. This is the first Christmas Anthropologie is in Toronto, it is the biggest store in Yorkville, I thought I would see something stunning. With that being said, it didn't stop me from buying a fabulous necklace!!

William Sonoma

William Sonoma is the essence of marketing with smell!! The window displays are festive, but as soon as you walk in and smell that Apple Cider, you ask yourself, "What over priced item can I buy today? $42 for Apple Cider is reasonable, it is Christmas. My Mother deserves it!" Crazy thoughts like that enter your mind while the smells comfort you, not your pocketbook. Luckily, I had enough in my hands and walked out with my money in check. (But if that Hot Chocolate Maker worked on a stove, I would be sipping Hot Chocolate while I type this).

Pottery Barn

Next door we find Pottery Barn. Comfort and Joy. Yes, I would love my house to have the comforts of Pottery Barn. I just looked from the outside. I don't dare enter through those doors. This year I am not decorating my house for the Holidays, since we are gone for most of the month of December, so I am restraining from any Holiday Home Decor. Plus, my little townhouse can't handle the scale of Pottery Barn. But I can dream.

Louis Vuitton

Louis Vuitton. I wouldn't enter this store normally, but I think this window would look great at night.

Chanel

Chanel - very creative. I love the bottle of Chanel No 5. Reminds me when I was young my Dad used to buy that perfume for my Mom. Chanel isn't a store I would frequent, but the windows make you stop.

Coach

I have a love affair with Coach. Their windows are happy, bright and colourful, all of which attracts me. But it wouldn't matter what is in the windows, I always go in!! I love the Poppy Collection, which is what the windows are fashioned after.

Hermes

Hermes with their stack of Orange Boxes!! The Orange Box is as well known as the Tiffany Blue Box!! And add in some cute stuffed horses, the store is saying, please come in. You might not be able to afford our fabulous silk scarves, but that cute stuffed horse may be your ticket to owning a piece of Hermes. Don't get me wrong, it is still expensive for a stuffed horse, but maybe you can afford it. (I didn't go in to see).

Sephora

My last stop is Sephora. Every woman wants to glitter during the Holidays! Their window is compelling because that picture is a Holograph. As you walk down the street, the lady blows glitter into the sky (well, on the picture). Sephora always calls my name, "Please, make me look beautiful!!" I love Sephora because it is filled with affordable luxuries. An item may be expensive, but you are still able to buy it!! Unlike the Hermes scarves.

I hope you enjoyed my walking tour of Bloor St. and Yorkville. I wish more stores took an effort to entice us with fabulous window displays. Shopping is all about a feeling, and at Christmas you want that feeling to be festive. Play some Christmas music, brew some cider and welcome customers into your store!!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this little tour Christine. I was just wondering if I would have time to visit all the store displays this Christmas and if I don't, at least I have been able to see them through your eyes. Your photos and commentary are terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of these stores are very near each other. You could definitely see them all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tour, Christine! We won't be able to get to Toronto to see the sights in person, so I really appreciated your post. I'm thinking now that I should go see if there are any good displays in downtown Cleveland....? Maybe I'll go check this week!

    ReplyDelete