Saturday, November 21, 2009

The Quest for the Perfect Chicken Wings

Chicken Wings is one of my favorite foods, but lately I haven't been able to find one made the "perfect way". I love crispy chicken wings. Not saucy. I'm not really a fan of any saucy food. SO I was excited that a new restaurant, "The Wing Co." opened near my house. I thought, "Great! They are all about the wings! They must be good!". Yesterday, Gemma and I went to get some wings. They have over 40 flavors, but they didn't have Plum Sauce. They even sell Chicken Fingers, but didn't have Plum sauce. So Gemma had plain wings and we brought them home, got the plum sauce out of the fridge, so she could dip them in the sauce. But I was willing to give her plain wings in search of a good Chicken Wing. I ordered Buffalo Medium. To me, Buffalo wings means sauce cooked in, versus BBQ wings means saucy. SO we get home, I open my wings, to find very saucy, non-crispy wings in front of me. Hmmmm... I ate some but wasn't overly fond of their sauce. Luckily, the onion rings were really good and I mostly ate those.

When I look back over the years, I try to think of some of my favorite wings. My first great wing was from a restaurant in Virgil called Silks. It was okay to be seen with my parents in high school, if it meant getting wings from Silks. They were delicious. Once I moved to Toronto I enjoyed the Chicken wings (and nachos) from Sneeky Dees. However, was it because we were drunk? I don't think I could go back there now at my age. Also, I would get some good wings from Paupers on Bloor St. I think the restaurant actually is still there. Maybe it's a place worth checking out again. And recently I had good wings from the Scotland Yard on the Esplanade.

So what makes a good wing? Is it the deep frying? Or is it the oven baking? I think both. I think my ideal wing would be deep fried to make it crispy,coated in sauce, then put in to the oven for the yummy flavor to be baked in. Yummy!! So, if you find these wings, let me know!!

No comments:

Post a Comment